KCRW Showcases at SXSWWednesday, March 14
3-6pm – Convention Center (Radio Day Stage) Alabama Shakes * Michael Kiwanuka* HoneyHoney 8pm-2am – Haven
Apparat * Band of Skulls* Kimbra
Ki: Theory * Oberhofer * Blood Orange
Los Angeles-based public radio station KCRW (89.9 FM and KCRW.com) is kicking off SXSW on Wednesday, March 14, with TWO official showcases open to anyone with a festival badge or wristband (no RSVP needed).
Our first is conveniently located at the Austin Convention Center from 3-6pm, when many of you will be picking up your badges! Alabama Shakes and soul singer Michael Kiwanuka are two of the most buzzed about artists of the year and both got very early airplay support from KCRW. We’re thrilled to have them together on one lineup with LA’s own HoneyHoney completing the bill. They will perform on the Radio Day Stage on the 4th Flr – what better way to start your week of music watching?
Then, hop over to Haven for a night of KCRW favorites:
- German electronic producer Sascha Ring a.k.a. Apparat, who has developed a passionate following, particularly for his dynamic live show.
- UK’s Band Of Skulls, who make their much-anticipated return with one of the best rock albums of the year in “Sweet Sour”.
- New Zealand singer Kimbra, who is best known as Gotye’s female counterpart on the hit song “Somebody I Used to Know”, and has a forthcoming solo album that is bound to turn just as many heads. She’ll also tour with the Aussie singer in Spring, then hit the road with Foster the People this summer.
- Ki: Theory a.k.a. Joel Burleson, a high-profile, much in demand remixer who puts on an electrifying live show.
- Brooklyn-based newcomer Oberhofer, whose debut LP, full of distinctive, energetic, catchy pop, will be out on Glassnote in late March.
- Formerly known as Lightspeed Champion, Devonté Hynes’ latest project, Blood Orange captures the sensual sounds of a city at night on the album “Coastal Grooves”.
KCRW will also be the official radio sponsor for Filter Magazine’s Showdown at Cedar Street. The three-day showcase running March 15-17 from 11am to 6pm will feature Keane, Fanfarlo, Built to Spill, Kaiser Chiefs, Reptar, and Milo Green among many others.
Check out our full schedule of activities below and stay tuned for updates.
**WEDNESDAY, March 14**
WHAT: KCRW’s Official Day Showcase TIME: 3 – 6pm WHERE: Radio Day Stage is in Ballroom D on the 4th floor of the Austin Convention Center
3p – Michael Kiwanuka 4pm – Alabama Shakes 5pm – HoneyHoney WHAT: KCRW’s official night showcase TIME: 8pm – 2a WHERE: Haven 409B Colorado Austin, TX 78701
8pm Blood Orange 9pm Oberhofer 10pm Ki:Theory 11pm Kimbra 12pm Band of Skulls 1am Apparat
About KCRW: KCRW 89.9FM is an NPR affiliate serving Southern California and licensed to Santa Monica College. The public radio station represents cutting edge radio at its best, presenting an eclectic mix of independent music, news, talk and arts programming. The terrestrial signal serves Los Angeles, Orange, and Ventura counties, as well as parts of San Diego, San Bernardino, Kern, and Santa Barbara counties and the greater Palm Springs area. KCRW’s programming is internationally renowned and available worldwide at KCRW.com. KCRW offers an all-music channel, Eclectic24, an all news channel and on-air simulcast. . Podcasts and archives of our locally-produced programs and live band performances are available on our website, as well as on our smartphone apps for the iPhone, Android and Blackberry. KCRW’s acclaimed Music Mine app for iPad is dedicated to music discovery.,